St Day 2 4 St Blazey
7th October 2017 at 2:00pm
Vogue Park
Cornwall Senior Cup

St Day 2v4 St Blazey Att 60. (16 away)

St Blazey are through to the senior cup 2nd round after coming from behind to win 2v4 and put in a very good performance on a horrible wet and windy afternoon. St Day went into this Senior cup tie top of the Cornwall combination league and high on confidence and confident they could knock out their Peninsula West opponents.  Despite the poor weather conditions, the pitch looked in excellent condition.

As the rain continued to fall as the game kicked off, St Blazey looked the more composed, knocking the ball around well with Lee Whetter showing his experience at the back. 16 minutes into the match, the referee, Simon long who the Saturday before ran the line at Old Trafford during the Manchester United v Crystal Palace match gave St Day a free kick just inside their own half. St Days goalkeeper took the free kick and launched it forward. The loose ball was knocked through to Boon who smashed the ball home past Chapman in the St Blazey goal. St Day felt the upset was on. St Blazey could have gone under after that set back but continued to play some good football. Perryman had St Blazeys first decent effort on goal firing just wide. Perryman didn’t have long to wait for his next chance. From a St Day goal kick, the ball was knocked through and Perryman managed to keep his balance long enough to slide the ball home. That goal left St Day on the back foot and a good move led to Paddy West working the ball out wide and squaring the ball to Elliot Rendle whos turn and shot deflected past the far post for a corner. Another good passing move down the right and a great one two between Vooght and Rendle left Rendle through on goal and he calmly beat the keeper at the neat post to put St Blazey in front for the first time.

Half Time. St Day 1v2 St Blazey.

The supporters had hardly had chance to finish the best pasties of the season so far when St Blazey kicked off the second half and the ball went back to Chapman in goal who’s long clearance left Lewis Vooght through on goal and he finished well to put St Blazey 1v3 up. St Day rarely threatened after that as St Blazey continued to look threatening. Stuart Morgan came off the bench for the final 20 minutes replacing Ollie Deadman. St Blazey had another effort cleared off the line, and from the resulting corner earned a free kick which annoyed the St Day bench. One assistant had to much to say and was asked to leave the dugout. The resulting free kick from Morgan just went over the bar. Morgan was not to be denied and added a fourth when he broke down the left and finished well into the bottom right hand corner. St Day looked well beaten but were given hope when a free kick was whipped in and the ball flicked off Elliot Rendle’s head and found the corner of the net. With the mist coming in, St Day briefly chucked everything at St Blazey but with Chapman in goal and Whetters at the back, St Blazey look a much more solid outfit and they saw the game out. This was St Blazeys first cup win in any competition for the best part of two years.

Full time. St Day 2v4 St Blazey.

Man of the match. Harry Eaton. Controlled the midfield.

St Blazey can now look forward to the second round draw with the next round to be played in early December.

St Blazey return to league action on Wednesday night at home to Wendron with a 7.30ko.