St Blazey 1 2 Wendron United
10th October 2018 at 7.30pm
Blaise Park
S.W.P West

St Blazey 1v2 Wendron United Att 63 (Away 10)

Matt Hayden took charge of his first game in charge at Blaise Park. New signing Hurst took over in goal while Lee Whetter partnered Baker in defence. Rendle returned at right back with Carron at left back. In form Harris was on on the left wing with Vinny on the right. New, White and Vooght made up the midfield with Mabin up front. Eaton and Kennedy were unavailable.

After a brilliant 3 points away at Mousehole and a good display in the Senior cup at Sticker, St Blazey looked to push on and continue to improve their results.

Wendron could have opened the scoring in the opening minutes when a defensive mistake left the Wendron forward a clear shot on goal, only for his effort to curl well over the bar. Wendron had started the brighter and a good low cross from the right had to be cleared before the lose ball was picked up and the shot towards the near post was easily saved. Wendron took a deserved lead in the 15th minute when a good ball down the left split the defence and with the St Blazey goalkeeper coming out, the ball was poked across goal for Chris Mulroy to smash the ball home from three yards despite the best efforts of the defender on the line. That goal sparked some life into St Blazey and they created their first real chance soon after. A long cross field mass from Harris to Vinny, who put in a low drilled cross towards Mabin who’s effort was dragged wide. Wendron almost doubled their lead at the other end with a briliant effort from all of 20 yards that smashed against the bar with the St Blazey goalkeeper beaten. St Blazey earned a free kick out on the right after a late challenge. The free kick was curled towards the far post and almost crept inside the post without any player getting a touch on the ball. St Blazey drew level just before half time. A corner was swung in towards the near post and the ball flicked on which fell to the feet of Harris. He took a touch and turned and curled a lovely shot into the far corner despite a man on the line to make it 1v1. With half time approaching, there was still time for either side to score. Wendron had a cross from the right headered towards goal but saved well down low. St Blazey then should have took the lead on the stroke of half time when Harris put in another lovely curling cross for Mabin running in but his side foot effort went wide of the far post from just a few yards out.

Half time, St Blazey 1v1 Wendron United

The second half began as the first had ended with chances for both sides as the match went end to end. Wendron had a free kick curled towards the penalty spot and a Wendron player with a free header headed over. St Blazey were soon on the attack themselves and a ball across the box was met by a Wendon head that hit the post. The ball came back to Vinny who took a touch and his shot deflected onto the bar. Madin shot over soon after from a Vinny cross after a good move down the right. St Blazey were creating chance after chance and another brilliant chance came and went as Harris once again whipped in a lovely cross for Vooght, racing into the box to side foot the ball home only for the Wendron goalkeeper to make a great save and Vooght could only volley the rebound wide as he fell to the ground. Back came Wendron and a deep cross came down on top the cross bar and hooked to safety. Wendron had a shot saved at the far post as Wendron continued to cause the odd problem for St Blazey. But it was St Blazey who continued to look the most likely with Harris causing them all the problems on the left. Another cross and shot was saved before Paul New played in Mabin but his effort was dragged wide. Wendron almost took the lead when a pass from Baker was cut out and Wendron passed the ball cutting the St Blazey defence apart and the final shot was superbly saved to keep the scores level. The corner was swung in and a shot at the far post was blocked on the line and the rebound saved as the Wendron supporters thought they had scored. Josh Harris had a free kick from all of 25 yards that the Wendron goal keeper saved easily. He threw the ball out to their left back who passed inside but the next pass was quickly cut out and Mabin was on to it but his shot was well saved down low to his left. With just minutes to go, St Blazey forced another corner. The ball in was cleared and Wendron broke away. The Wendron player drove forward cutting across the edge of the penalty area and curling a low shot just inside the post to earn all three points for Wendron. Disapointment for St Blazey but encouraging signs that things can be turned around.

Full time, St Blazey 1v2 Wendron United

Man of the match, Josh Harris. A well taken goal and some superb crossing from the left which deserved a St Blazey winner.

Next up for St Blazey, a chance to put tonight’s result behind them as Wadebridge are the visitors to Blaise Park on Saturday. Kick off 3.00pm