St Blazey 2 3 Wadebridge
15th May 2018 at 7.30pm
Burngullow Park
Cornwall Charity Cup Semi Final

St Blazey 2v3 Wadebridge Att, 70 est. 30 from St Blazey

St Blazey were almost at full strength for their semi final. Lewis Coombes and Lyle Johnson were unavailable but George Russell, who hasn’t played since earlier in the season was available. Lewis Vooght went to right back with Ollie Deadman on the bench. Lee Whetters was back in defence with Joe stone with Elliot Rendle at left back. Assistant manager Ryan Yeoman was also on the bench with Paddy West and Harry Eaton in centre midfield. Seb Broomfield partnered player manager Stuart Morgan up front.

There was little to choose between the sides in the opening exchanges as both sides looked to take control of the match. Chances were few and far between. Morgan had an effort deflect over for a corner. The resulting corner was only cleared to Broomfield who’s shot was cleared. Wadebridge took the lead after winning the ball back, one ball through the middle split the defence and the resulting shot from distance beat Chapman down to his left hand side. Wadebridge almost doubled their lead when Stone gave the ball away only for the back pass to Chapman to come up short but Chapman rescued St Blazey to keep the score at one going into the half time break.

Half Time. St Blazey 0v1 Wadebridge

St Blazey started the second half sharper and looked the more likely to score. An early corner was only cleared to Howe who knocked the ball back in towards Howie who couldn’t turn the ball home. Howie almost got on the end of a free kick but the chance went begging. St Blazey were attacking down the right when the referee blew up for a head injury. Once the injury was treated, a drop ball was given that Wadebridge won and a quick ball over the top caught St Blazey static and Chapman had to make a good save low to his right. Wadebridge made it 2v0 when the ball out to the right was played across goal for a tap in. St Blazey were off the pace and Wadebridge made it three when a ball out to right was crossed early for a flicked header that crept inside the far post. The third goal seemed to spark some life into St Blazey and Broomfield went close before a life line. Morgan bundled his way through rounding the goal keeper and scored to give St Blazey hope. Still needing two goals to force extra time with twenty minutes still to go, St Blazey threw everything at Wadebridge. Ball after ball was put into the box but Baker in the Wadebridge defence was winning everything. With time running out Joe Stone rose highest to squeeze the ball home into the top left corner to give them hope of a memorable come back. With seconds to go, a long ball forward resulted in St Blazey being awarded a free kick on the edge of the box after a foul for pushing. Up stepped Josh Harris who’s free kick whistled just over the bar with the goalkeeper beaten. The final whistle went and Wadebridge had made the final. After dominating the final twenty minutes with so much pace in the side it was a case of what could have been.

Full time. St Blazey 2v3 Wadebridge

Man of the match, Harry Eaton. Never gives up and keeps on giving everything.

Next up for St Blazey, Pre season friendlies will be announced over the coming weeks with friendlies beginning around mid July.

Have a great summer, and thank you for your support this season.