St Blazey 2 2 St Dennis
26th December 2017 at 2:00pm
Blaise Park
S.W.P West

St Blazey 2v2 St Dennis. Att 100 (20 away est)

After another week of wet weather the match was in doubt and a pitch inspection was called for 10am. Chairman Martin Richards walked the pitch and declared the game on with the hope it wouldn’t rain much up to kick off.

St Blazey were hoping for a bumper boxing day crowd but with the weather getting worse in the lead up to kick off a crowd of just 100 turned up in conditions that no one thought the game would even start. The match referee met with the groundsman and the Chairman and it was decided the match would start as the pitch was playable.

St Blazey were still missing Josh Harris and Ollie Deadman with hamstring injuries and Paddy West and Matt Hayden were unavailable.

Before the game, there was a minutes silence for our former manager Trevor Mewton who passed away after being ill for some time.

The match got underway in awful conditions as the rain and hail fell heavily. St Dennis made a good start and knocked the ball around well, working the ball out to the left where Carl Rickard was given far to much space and his shot could only be pushed away by Chapman in goal for St Blazey and Jacob Rowe running in the box for St Dennis chested the ball into the empty net to put St Dennis 1 up after just 2 minutes. St Dennis could have gone 2 up when the ball was played to the right leaving a one on one with Chapman who made a great save. The loose ball was picked up and blocked and Chapman made another double to save to keep St Blazey in the game. After that let off, St Blazey grew into the game and moved the ball quicker after a sluggish start but after winning several free kicks, the balls into the box were poor. St Blazey had a free kick which sailed over the bar but were soon on level terms. After a corner had been cleared for another corner, the ball was whipped in to the near post and Joe Stone headed home unmarked to score his 5th league goal of the season. The game was end to end as the rain continued to poor and player manager Morgan had the next couple efforts on goal, the first a free kick which went over the bar and then a shot that was pushed away by the St Dennis goal keeper. St Dennis on the break had a great chance to create another opening but a poor pass was well read by Whetters who cleared any danger. Morgan had another chance to score when he was played in down the right but as the goal keeper came out his chip went wide. St Dennis who continued to make the better chances played the ball out to right and the shot was blocked for a corner. The resulting corner was swung in by Sleeman and Carl Rickard beat two St Blazey defenders at the far post to head past Chapman at the far post. St Blazey could have equalised from the kick off when a long diagonal ball found Dan Perryman who’s shot was well saved. Just before half time a diving header from Perryman went wide as St Dennis went in at the break with a one goal advantage.

Half Time. St Blazey 1v2 St Dennis

St Blazey started the second half brighter as the rain eased off and had early chance when Broomfield crossed for Morgan who’s header went over the bar. The turning point came soon after when St Dennis broke away and one ball threw left a one on one with Chapman in the Blazey goal. The St Dennis player went round the goal keeper but went slightly wide and couldn’t keep his feet giving Chapman a vital second to recover and keep St Blazey in the game. That missed chance was to prove pivotal as mid way through the second half the ball was worked out to Rendle on the right of the box and his low driven cross invited an out stretched foot and the ball deflected into the goal somehow beating the St Dennis goalkeeper at his near post. St Blazey were now in control and looking the more likely to go on and win the game and almost took the lead when Broomfield played the ball into Morgan who turned and his first time shot smashed the inside of the near post and Perrymans rebound was blocked and then two looping headers from the loose ball were scrambled clear. St Blazey couldn’t get the winner and in the closing moments St Dennis almost took all 3 points when the ball in the box was cleared but clipped the bar on the way out for a corner. The resulting corner was swung in to the near post and a glancing header went wide. The Referee who let the game flow in awful conditions blew for full time and both side had to settle for a point. This is St Blazey’s first draw of the season.

Full Time. St Blazey 2v2 St Dennis.

Man of the match, Joe Stone. Good header for St Blazey’s first goal and won everything in defence.

Next up for St Blazey is Friday nights trip to Penzance with a 7.30 kick off.

The match was being played for the Margeret Caddy cup, a supporter of both clubs who sadly passed away. Her family attended and laid flowers in front the grandstand. St Dennis will continue to hold the cup after today’s draw.