St Blazey 6 0 Ludgvan
17th August 2018 at 7.30pm
Blaise Park
S.W.P West

St Blazey 6v0 Ludgvan Att 103 (10 away)

Stuart Morgan’s first team selection of the season saw England in goal, with Baker and the returning Lee Whetters covering for tonight’s match, in central defence. Rendle and Vooght made up the back four with Eaton, Bass, and Johnson in central midfield. Kennedy and Howe played out on the wings with player manager Morgan up front. Deadman, Hogan and Putt started on the bench. Shea Saunders was unavailable.

St Blazey kicking towards the Laundry end for the first half started well and didn’t have long to wait for their first goal of the season. The ball was played into Kennedy on the right of the penalty box and the Ludgvan defender sliding in took him out leaving the referee no option but to award a penalty. Up stepped Howe who sent the goalkeeper the wrong way to put St Blazey in front after 6 minutes. St Blazey continued to dominate and forced several corners with one from Lyle Johnson flying across the face of the goal when only a touch was needed. St Blazey finally doubled their lead in the 19th minute when a ball from Bass found Howe who turned and hit a shot and flew into the net giving the Ludgvan goalkeeper no chance. Another goal mouth scramble from a corner was some how cleared over the bar as Ludgvan defended well. They were caught out in first half injury time when Johnson set off on a run taking on the Ludgvan defence before being upended and the referee awarding St Blazey their second spot kick of the night. Up stepped Howe again who completed his hat trick with a low drive that beat the Ludgvan goalkeeper for pace.

Half time, St Blazey 3v0 Ludgvan

Manager Morgan called for his side continue their hard work from the first half and they didn’t disappoint. Howe almost added his fourth early in the second half but his effort came back off the bar. St Blazey made it four in the 56th minute when Kennedy put in a lovely cross for Morgan who connected with his head and shoulder to send the ball into the far corner for his first goal of the season. That was Kennedy’s last action as Hogan came on for him. Ludgvan continued to try and play some good football but found themselves up against a strong defence and Eaton tracking back giving them no time to get into the game. Deadman came on for Morgan in the 63rd minute and just five minutes later St Blazey made it five. Lewis Vooght put in the cross and Howe headered his fourth of the night. Putt came on for Vooght in the 74th minute. St Blazey added their sixth of the night in the 83rd minute after Eaton’s shot was saved only for the ball to come back off a Ludgvan defender and into the empty net.

A great start to the season for St Blazey and for Ryan Howe with his four goals. Ludgvan who are a side who have recruited players late on after so many players left during the summer can be more than happy with the way they played despite the final score.

Full time, St Blazey 6v0 Ludgvan

Man of the match, Ryan Howe, 4 goals and a brilliant performance to start the season.

Next up for St Blazey, the first away game of the season where we travel to Plymouth Marjon.


Dave Deacon from Cornish Soccer took the time to interview me at half time. Have a listen to our half time chat on the Cornish soccer podcast.