St Blazey 5 3 Godolphin Atlantic
31st August 2019 at 3:00pm
Blaise Park
F.A Vase

St Blazey 5v3 Godolphin Atlantic, Att,90. Away 10 est.

Liam Joyce kept his place in goal after his recent performances. Brodie Cole returned to the bench after being away. Lewis Vooght was available after his injury which has kept him out since the end of pre season and took his place on the bench.

Today’s line up was as follows.


With recent wins over Penzance and Wendron, the excitement had built for the this F.A Vase fixture. St Blazey were playing their first F.A Vase match for two seasons. The prize at stake for winning was £575 and a home tie with the winner of Bristol Telephones v Falmouth Town.


The morning rain gave way to a glorious afternoon with a strong wind. St Blazey playing towards the Laundry End made a lively start but it it was Godolphin who almost took the lead. A long ball caught the St Blazey defence out and former St Blazey striker Dan Perryman raced clear knocking the ball over the out rushing Joyce in goal. Ray Card racing back managed to head the ball out for a corner to stop a certain goal. St Blazey were back on the attack straight away and earned a corner. The ball was swung into the near post and headed clear. Willmott controlled the loose ball and cut inside unleashing a dipping swerving shot that flew past the Godophin goal keeper to put St Blazey in front. The lead was short lived how ever as just 10 minutes later Godophin were level. St Blazey failed to stop a Godolphin attack out on the right and they broke away leaving St Blazey short at the back and giving away a corner. The corner was never dealt with and the loose ball was drilled low into the far corner of the net to make the scores level. With the scores level and both sides looking likely to score, St Blazey forced another corner in the 26th minute. The ball was swung in and Jordan Hogan running in at the far post headed home to put St Blazey in front as he ran away to celebrate with the St Blazey supporters gathered behind the goal. Just 6 minutes later St Blazey went further ahead. A searching ball over the top was chased down by the inform Jack Alexander and he beat the Godolphin defender and goalkeeper to the ball and slid the ball home into the corner of the net. St Blazey were now looking likely to score at every attack and Alexander had another effort saved as he shot towards the near post. After 38 minutes St Blazey scored their 4th and looked to be heading into the next round. Some good skill in midfield and long searching ball looking for Callum McGhee who got between defender and goalkeeper and the ball deflected straight to Harry Eaton running in to slot the ball into the empty net. An excellent half for St Blazey as they went into the break with a three goal advantage.

Half time, St Blazey 4v1 Godolphin Atlantic

If St Blazey thought the tie was over, they were given an early reminder it most certainly was not. Godophin were straight on the attack and pushing the St Blazey defence back. St Blazey had not started well and Godophin were throwing everything at St Blazey. In the 54th minute Godolphin pulled a goal back with a brilliant strike giving Joyce no chance in the St Blazey goal. Godophin continued to pile men forward including centre back Joe Stone to try and score another goal. St Blazey manager’s Matt and Shaun took off  the impressive McGhee and Rodgers and replaced them with Eke and Phillips to be harder to break down. Eke should have sealed the tie soon after coming on when a ball from the right was crossed to the far post but Eke running in blazed over the bar from three yards out. With ten minutes left St Blazey were awarded a free kick just outside the penalty area. Up stepped Jordan Walton who curled the ball up and over the wall into the net to put St Blazey 5v2 up. St Blazey’s Ben Joyce was shown a red card for apparently spitting close to someone after St Blazey had been awarded a free kick and within two minutes Godolphin were down to 10 men when Cameron Buchanan was shown a red card for a late tackle. A match that had hardly seen a yellow card had suddenly had two red cards within a couple minutes. The drama didn’t end there as St Blazey took the free kick they had been awarded but the St Blazey defender wasn’t looking. Godophin broke away and despite a desperate tackle they worked the ball past the out rushing Joyce in goal and slotted the ball into the empty net to make it 5v3. St Blazey seen out the final few minutes to progress to the next round and earn the club a mouth watering cup tie with Falmouth Town in two weeks time who won their first round tie 1v3 at Bristol telephones.

Second half match highlights.

Full time, St Blazey 5v3 Godolphin Atlantic


For another view on today’s match, why not have a read of this excellent blog thanks to cupfootballblogger. Click on the link below.

Man of the match, Steve Rodgers.


Joint Manager Shaun Vincent had this to say about his performance today.

Dictated play from the off and linked up well with Ben Joyce, who ran him close for MOM. Our passing first half was the best of the season & Steve was at the heart of it all.”

Joint Manager, Shaun Vincent had to this to say after today’s 1st round F.A Vase victory.


“Great win in the FA Vase yesterday. The first half we started quick with great link up, passing in between the lines of Godolphin, dragging players out of position & we took our chances.” 

Up next for St Blazey, a trip to the north coast on Saturday to face Wadebridge Town. Kick off 3.00pm.