St Blazey 2 2 Elburton Villa
27th March 2018 at 7.30pm
Blaise Park
S.W.P West

St Blazey 2v2 Elburton Villa Att 53 (4 away)

Player manager Stuart Morgan started on the bench probably feeling slightly tired after he became a Dad only 24 hours earlier to a baby boy. Harry Eaton was unavailable and Ollie Deadman was injured. Kennedy returned in midfield. Lewis Coombes started up front.

Elburton started the first 15 minutes chasing everything and playing some good football with both side putting in some crunching tackles. St Blazey grew into the match but Elburton looked the more threatening. Elburton had the first real effort on goal, which Chapman in goal for St Blazey saved. Soon after Elburton had the ball in the back of the net after a good move but the linesman had flagged long before the ball was in the back of the net. Elburton continued to test St Blazey and another shot from outside the area bounced in front of Chapman which hit him and he had to react quickly to pick up the loose ball. St Blazey survived and made late chances in the first half with Coombes turning and having his shot well blocked for a corner. St Blazey came the closet to taking the lead before half time when they were awarded a free kick outside the box and the left footed Harris beat the wall and the Elburton goal keeper could only push the ball into the air and it needed a good hooked clearance to stop St Blazey going in front.

Half time. St Blazey 0v0 Elburton Villa

Morgan made an early substitution early in the second half with loanie Tribble coming on for what could be his last appearance before returning to Tavistock with Ollie Kennedy going off. St Blazey almost took the lead when a corner was swung in but Joe Stone couldn’t turn the ball home. The ball was scrambled clear for another corner. The corner was poor into the near post but the ball was laid back and a better cross picked out Johnson who went for the spectacular finish but couldn’t connect. Elburton cleared the ball out wide and one ball over the top caught St Blazey out. Chapman came out and the ball was played across goal only for a great clearance from St Blazey as the Elburton forward dived in catching the defender giving away a free kick. On 57 minutes Morgan came on for Yeoman. On 62 minutes Elburton took the lead. Elburton broke away down the left and a ball across the box was met by St Blazey’s Joe Stone who sliced the ball into his own net. Broomfield came on for Lewis Coombes to try and rescue something from the match. St Blazey made a half chance soon after with Johnson playing in Tribble but his shot was blocked. With the match end to end Elburton should have gone 2 up when they broke down the left again. After working a shooting chance out on the left, Chapman could only parry the ball across goal straight to another Elburton who player who under pressure missed from close range hitting the post. The ball was hooked clear. St Blazey were awarded a free kick out on the left after a late challenge. A good ball into the box was almost met by Tribble running in with only the slightest flick required for the equalizer. Elburton were looking the more likely how ever and and a ball down the right and a good ball across the box was turned home and Elburton looked out of sight with only 15 minutes to go. Almost from kick off though a good ball into Morgan who turned the defender and was brought down. However the referee played on and Broomfield took full advantage sweeping the ball home under the advancing goal keeper to give St Blazey hope. St Blazey found the extra gear they needed and pushed Elburton back and with 5 minutes left found an equalizer. Another good ball into the box was met by Trible who’s looping header was clawed away and and the defender on the line hooked the ball against Tribble running in and the ball flew into the back of the net. The remaining minutes were scrappy and the points were shared. A good match between two good sides who will meet at Elburton in three weeks time.

Full time. St Blazey 2v2 Elburton.

Man of the match, Paddy West. Another good performance in midfield. Always encouraging the St Blazey players and protected the back four against a good Elburton side.

Next up for St Blazey, the Good Friday local derby away at St Dennis. Kick off 2pm.