Royal Marines 3 4 St Blazey
19th July 2018 at 7.30pm
H.M.S Drake
Pre season friendly

Royal Marines 3v4 St Blazey. Att 14 (12 away)

The disappointing news that Joe Stone was set to leave the club didn’t distract the rest of the squad from a difficult fixture against the Royal Marines. Ollie Deadman returned to the squad with Ryan Oxley and Jack Tribble starting up front. Ryan Howe partnered James Baker in central defence.

St Blazey fell behind in the opening minutes after a poor pass from Baker was intercepted and the resulting shot was well saved but the ball ran loose to be tapped home from six yards. St Blazey responded well and a good passing move involving several players finally found Vooght in space on the right. His cross to the far post was only partially cleared by the Marines goalkeeper and the loose ball was fired towards goal by Oxley who’s effort was cleared off the line. Shea Saunders had a chance but his effort was scuffed wide. The Marines should have gone two up when a cross from the right was not delt with. The shot from the loose ball went straight at the goalkeeper with the goal gaping. At the other end, St Blazey’s Ryan Oxley picked up the ball and played in Howe who controlled the ball and shot which was saved only for the loose ball to be knocked into an empty net to make it 1v1. Trible almost put St Blazey in front moments later when he hit a shot from 25 yards which crashed off the bar with the goalkeeper well beaten. As the first half drew to a close the Marines had the chance to go in at the break in front when a shot was blocked for a corner. The corner in was met at he near post and flew over. St Blazey went straight down the other end and forced a corner themselves. The corner was directed to the near post which McGhee met with a good header to put St Blazey 1v2 up at half time.

Half time, Royal Marines 1v2 St Blazey

The Royal Marines came out and stung by that late first half goal took the early initiative with a curling shot towards the far post going just wide. They were soon level though when a ball was played in and the Marine was onside, went around the goalkeeper and placed the ball in the empty net. St Blazey were back in front in the next attack when McGhee collected a through ball from Oxley to finish well. Back came the Marines, punishing Howe by taking the ball off him and putting the ball in the top corner to make it 3v3. The Marines almost went in front when a cross from the right was deflected and the ball had to be saved on the line. Howe had a left foot curling shot go over the bar while Rendle had a shot from the left go wide of the far post. St Blazey went back in front when a corner was missed by the goalkeeper and Howe headered home to put St Blazey 3v4 up. The Marines almost snatched a late draw when the ball into the box wasn’t delt with and the loose ball was smashed over the bar from 8 yards.

Full time, Royal Marines 3v4 St Blazey

Man of the match, Callum McGhee. Always comfortable on the ball. Two goals and an excellent performance.

Next up for St Blazey, Our first home pre season friendly of the season when Sticker are the visitors. Kick off 7.30pm.