Polperro 4 5 St Blazey
10th February 2018 at 2.00pm
Cornwall Charity Cup

Polperro 4v5 St Blazey Att. 35 (12 away)

St Blazey went into this quarter final having not played since the 2v2 draw with St Dennis on Boxing day. With only 13 players available including A.J in goal from the second team for Chapman who was unavailable and Bradley Putt the only sub also stepping up from the second team, it was always going to be a testing afternoon. Lyle Johnson, Elliot Rendle and Josh Harris were also not available. Ollie Deadman returned for the first time since his hamstring injury in November.

The match went ahead after a morning pitch inspection. The pitch was soft and muddy but playable but as kick off approached the mist and fog made conditions very awkward. From one end of the pitch you could only just make out the far goal frame. The referee was willing to try and get the game played and so the match went ahead.

With conditions making good football impossible, St Blazey played the first half down the slope with the wind and forced Polperro onto the back foot in the opening stages. The first real chance fell to Seb Broomfield who headed wide after a good cross from the right. Along clearance from a Polperro defender resulted in Deadman left at the back and the ref blew for a foul. The referee had deemed Deadman to pull the player back when through on goal and was given a straight red card. St Blazey now had to play the last 70 minutes with 10 men. From then on St Blazey took control of the match. From a Morgan Corner, Joe Stone rose highest to head home. Then after a scramble in the box, a rash challenge resulted in the referee awarding a penalty which Lee Whetters smashed home in the top corner giving the goalkeeper no chance to put St Blazey 2 up. Just before half time Morgan recieved the ball out on the right and his low cross was missed by several players and Joe stone running slotted the ball home from 6 yards to put St Blazey 0v3 up and in total control.

Half time. Polperro 0v3 St Blazey.

St Blazey would have been more than happy with their first half performance but as they Polperro had the slope and wind to their advantage for the second half they knew it wasn’t all over. After just a few minutes of the second half Polperro had pulled a goal back when a low shot to the goalkeepers left crept inside the far post. St Blazey were straight back on the attack and when Morgan broke down the left his low cross just missed the in coming Lewis Vooght. Polperro broke away and the long ball wasn’t dealt with and the ball left the Polperro forward in to slot past the advancing goalkeeper to make it 2v3. Polperro were now right back in it and had half chances with one effort from distance flying high over the bar before another effort was blocked. A good move down the right and a left footed shot from the edge of the box brought a good catch from the St Blazey goalkeeper. St Blazey got hold of the ball for a brief spell and made the most of it. The ball was worked out wide to Lewis Vooght who’s low cross deflected into Morgan who tucked the ball home from close range to make it 2v4. Polperro could have scored almost immediately when they were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box. The resulting free kick looped over the wall and A.J in goal tipped the ball onto the bar and the loose ball was scrambled clear before another low shot was well saved. St Blazey on the break looked to have put the tie to bed when Seb Broomfield played a lovely ball through to Morgan who wriggled clear of two defenders and placed the ball past the advancing goalkeeper to make it 2v5. The ever busy Harry Eaton was on the end of a late challenge that resulted in a yellow card for the Polperro player and a yellow for Eaton for his retaliation before Polerro pulled another goal back when a free kick was curled low around the wall beating the St Blazey goal keeper. Morgan was then on the end of a challenge which he wasn’t happy about and had to be helped off the pitch for Putt to come on for the final 10 minutes. Polerro scored a late goal to make it 4v5 when another low shot crept in the left hand post and it was now game on for the closing minutes. Polperro chucked everything at St Blazey and needed some last ditch clearances to hold on, but hold on they did and the 10 men had seen out a very tricky match to go into the semi final draw.

Full time. Polperro 4v5 St Blazey.

Man of the match, Stuart Morgan. Two good goals helped steady the nerves as St Blazey reached the semi finals. Two assists in the first half made it a good day for the St Blazey player manager.

Next Saturday St Blazey are back in league action when they host Bude Town. Kick off 3pm.