Penzance 2 1 St Blazey
16th September 2017 at 2:30pm
Penlee Park
League cup 1st Round

Penzance 2v1 St Blazey Att 108 (17 Away)

St Blazey are out off this years league cup following a narrow 2v1 defeat at Penzance. St Blazey players and supporters made the trip to Penzance by train looking to put last weeks F.A Vase defeat behind them. With the extreme wet weather all week it was a surprise to see Penzance dry and the Penlee Park pitch looking in excellent condition. St Blazey travelled with just 12 players including Paddy West with a hamstring injury that had kept him out of last weeks Vase trip. St Blazey kicking towards the home end in the first half found themselves behind after just 4 minutes when Wilton scored. After going behind so early, St Blazey came right back at Penzance with Skirton making chances down the right and forcing several corners. Two good headed chances came and went before player manager Morgan was convinced he was tripped in the box. The Referee waved away any claims. St Blazey kept pushing and another cross was headed clear but only to Deadman who took one touch and volleyed the ball into the top corner from all of 20 yards. A fantastic strike and just what St Blazey needed after going behind early on. From there on, St Blazey looked the more threatening without creating clear cut chances. St Blazey were forced to make their only available substitution soon after after an ankle injury to Josh Harris meant a start for new signing Liam Thorne. After half an hour St Blazey were awarded a penalty when a poor challenge on the edge of the box with the St Blazey player with his back to goal was tripped. Up stepped Lyle Johnson but his penalty was soft and far to close to the Penzance goalkeeper, Angove who saved well and the ball was cleared and Penzance almost broke away but for a good challenge. (See penalty miss below)

Half Time. Penzance 1v1 St Blazey.

Penzance started the second half well and made St Blazey pay for that penalty miss by taking the lead after 53 minutes. A long ball played out to the left was crossed, across the outside of the penalty area to find Robertson running in whose sliced volley flew into the bottom right hand corner giving Chapman in goal no chance. St Blazey spent the next 20 minutes creating several chances including Skirton taking on four defenders only to fire over the bar and Johnson evading several chances only to poke the ball at the Penzance goalkeeper. Morgans curling effort cleared the bar and another good cross was headed over. With 15 minutes to go Penzance took control and Chapman made several good saves to keep St Blazey in the game. Penzance thought they had made it 3v1 when a great shot was well saved only for the ball to be tapped home but the Linesman flagged for offside. Penzance saw out the final minutes and held on to progress to the next round where they will face the winner of the tie between Newquay and St Dennis at home.

Full Time. Penzance 2v1 St Blazey.

St Blazey now face Mousehole at home on Wednesday night. 7.30ko