Millbrook 3 0 St Blazey
11th November 2017 at 2:15pm
Jenkins Park
S.W.P West

Millbrook 3v0 St Blazey. Att. 58. (23 Away)

This match was subject to a morning pitch inspection after heavy rain over night and St Blazey will wish it had rained a bit more after today’s damp performance. With today’s game against third place Millbrook and Fridays home fixture against Liskeard who are now top of the table coming up, this week could be one of the most important of the season.

St Blazey were missing their influential  manager who was with the marines over the weekend for Remembrance weekend along with Shea Saunders. Harry Eaton who had turned his ankle in the week was not deemed fit to play. Lee Whetter returned to the back four after missing last weeks win against Porthleven. Paddy West came into midfield for Harry Eaton.

A minutes silence was held before the match for Remembrance weekend and it was impeccably observed.

Millbrook started the match well making the opening chance with a header that went just wide. Howie who had a good first half for St Blazey had St Blazey’s first effort on goal with a shot from all of 20 yards which was saved. Millbrook should have taken the lead when a move down the right opened the St Blazey defence and the ball across the box cleared three defenders leaving the Millbrook striker the keeper to beat from 8 yards but his shot flew over the bar. Howie had another good effort which flew just over the bar. From a corner St Blazey appealed for a penalty for a push but the referee wasn’t interested. Rendle had a good effort well saved down to the keepers left which would prove to be the best spell for St Blazey. Millbrook moved the ball well down the right, which St Blazey did well to win back only to give the ball away again. The ball into the box was only sliced clear and the ball back in was met with a good header at the near post to put Millbrook one up. St Blazey could have equalised just after that set back when Hayden set up Perryman but his curled effort went over the bar. Another Millbrook header went wide before St Blazey put together their best move of the first half which ended with a shot that the Millbrook goalkeeper pushed away for a corner. The corner was swung in and headed clear but only to Paddy West who’s low drive hit another green shirt and out for a goal kick. Millbrook then punished St Blazey for not taking their half chances and a long ball and a flick to the on running forward left him through on goal and he curled his shot into the bottom right to put them two up. St Blazey were on the back foot and mistakes were coming thick and fast. A Lee Whetters foul resulted in a free kick which was curled over the bar and Deadman was thankful to Chapman in goal when he gave the ball away and a neat one two left Millbrook in on goal but a good save kept the score at two. With half time approaching St Blazey put a long ball towards Perryman who did well to keep it in play and his cross came to nothing. Howie went down injured and went off with what looked like a dead leg. To cap off a woeful twenty minutes, Johnson had the ball taken off him and the ball into the box left Joe Stone reaching for the ball and catching the Millbrook player and the referee was in no doubt and pointed to the spot. The penalty was scored low to Chapmans left and that left St Blazey a mountain to climb in the second half.

Half time. Millbrook 3v0 St Blazey

Josh Harris came on for Matt Hayden at half time. Millbrook still looked the more likely, no doubt encouraged with their first half display. Another good cross was cleared by Deadman for a corner. The corner was cleared from 3 yards out from Rendle with a good header for another corner. Or not, as the referee thought it came off a Millbrook head much to the amusement of the St Blazey fans. Millbrook were well on top and had several good chances to get crosses in the box but St Blazey defended well to keep the score down. Josh Harris had a shot saved late on before the Millbrook goalkeeper came out for a loose ball and lost possession leaving Joe Stone the chance to lob the ball over the goalkeeper into an empty net only for the shot to go wide. Seb Broomfield came on for the final ten minutes for Paddy West but the game fizzled out. The damage had been done in the first half and Millbrook seen the second half out comfortably. The result leaves St Blazey six points behind Millbrook with two games in hand.

So the winning run has come to an end. St Blazey will need to bounce back and quickly with big games coming up in the league and Torpoint away in the Cornwall Senior cup.

Full time. Millbrook 3v0 St Blazey

Man of the match. Elliot Rendle. A long afternoon for some but he still looked in control.

On Friday night we welcome table toppers Liskeard to Blaise Park with a 7.30pm kick off.