Illogan RBL 3 0 St Blazey
5th May 2018 at 3:00pm
Oxland Park
S.W.P West

Illogan R.B.L 3v0 St Blazey Att, 46 (21 away)

Having arrived at Illogan to find the weather had changed from lovely sunshine to a damp windy afternoon, St Blazey faced an Illogan side needing all three points in the hope of not finishing bottom of the West division. St Blazey had a 14 man squad with just Jack Carron and Bradley Putt on the bench. Lewis Vooght was suspended while Paddy West was out injured. Whetters, Johnson and Broomfield were unavailable. Mat Hayden partnered Lewis Coombes up front.

St Blazey had the best of the early chances. Josh Harris blazed over the bar from inside the box after a St Blazey free kick wasn’t cleared. Illogan looked dangerous on the break and almost scored an opener when a shot from the left flew across the face of goal. St Blazey’s best move of the match came about after a foul on Morgan. A quick free kick to Hayden out wide who found Deadman running past him but his shot flew high over the bar. A long ball into the box from Eaton was won by Hayden and Morgan took a touch and an over head kick went wide of the post. Soon after a poor kick from Chapman in goal from a back pass only reached an Illogan player who tried to lob the ball from 35 yards out but the ball fell wide of the post. Illogan’s goal keeper had to be alert to save a half volley from Lewis Coombes after he had controlled the ball on his chest and hit a good shot at the near post. Illogan were always a threat down the left and another shot went just wide. Good closing down by Morgan forced a mistake and the resulting shot was cleared off the line. Chapman had to be alert for St Blazey when the referee awarded a free kick for a back pass. Illogan took it quickly much to St Blazey’s frustrations and almost scored when the shot was pushed out at the near post. Illogan began to look the most likely to score and a long free kick was aloud to bounce and Chapman was caught out but the attempted header over him was plucked out the air. Rendle was shown a yellow for a foul. Another effort for Illogan from all of 30 yards was saved before they finally took the lead. Another breakaway down the left which was not offside, Chapman came racing out but the shot was well placed around him into the bottom right corner for a deserved lead. There was just time for Eaton to receive a yellow card before half time for another foul.

Half time, Illogan 1v0 St Blazey

Illogan came out for the second half buoyed on by their late first half goal and soon doubled their advantage. After Rendle had won the ball back near the corner flag, the ball was soon given away and a great cross to the near post was met with a bullet header giving Chapman no chance to put Illogan two up. It was almost three soon after when a cross from the right was only half cleared and the shot from the edge of the box was saved. St Blazey never threatened in the second half. The match was stop start with lots of fouls and St Blazey launched several free kicks into the penalty area but Illogan dealt with this far to easily. Morgan was forced off with an injury after a challenge seen him collide with the advertising boards. Bradley Putt came on for the final 15 minutes. The one time St Blazey did find the net, Lewis Coombes was correctly adjudged to have handled the ball as the ball came into the box. Illogan continued to hit St Blazey on the break and scored a third just minutes from the end when a low shot found its way into the corner.

Full time, Illogan 3v0 St Blazey

Man of the match, Joe Stone, kept going on a disappointing afternoon with a make shift defence.

Next up for St Blazey we travel to Mousehole for our final league match of the season. Kick off 2.30pm.