Dobwalls 2 1 St Blazey
22nd September 2018 at 3.00pm
Lantoom Park
League Cup

Dobwalls 2v1 St Blazey Att, 23 (12 away)

Matt Hayden picked his first side as manager but couldn’t be present due to a personal matter so new assistant Baker looked after the side. He started in defence along side Shailer with Carron at left back and Mitchell at right back. New and Bass started in central midfield with Harris out on the left. New signing Vinny started behind the front two with two other new additions with Burns and Garside starting. Macintosh took the gloves in goal. England, Vooght and Rendle were still suspended, while Eaton away and Kennedy injured were also unavailable.

The match kicked off in terrible conditions with strong wind and heavy rain. With several new faces in the St Blazey  side, this was a chance to get stuck in and wipe last weeks nightmare at Plymstock from the memory. Dobwalls created the best opening chance when a ball into the box was only partially cleared and the shot from the left flew over. From then on St Blazey grew into the game. A much improved attitude, desire to press the ball and make life difficult for Dobwalls was evident for all to see. St Blazey pressing Dobwalls, forced them onto the mistake, and St Blazey picked up the loose ball, going past three defenders drawing the foul and the referee pointed to the spot. Up stepped Vinny but his penalty was saved by ex St Blazey goalkeeper Chapman but the referee wasn’t ready and ordered a re take. Despite Chapman doing his best to put Vinny off, he stepped up and slammed the ball home to put St Blazey in front. St Blazey continued to move the ball well and created another chance for Harris who burst into the box and hit a brilliant effort that smashed off the corner of bar and post and flew across goal and to safety with Chapman well beaten.

Half time, Dobwalls 0v1 St Blazey

St Blazey carried on where they left off, giving Dobwalls little chance to create anything of real quality with out St Blazey really being able to force much of a chance themselves. The conditions making it a real battle and St Blazey looked in control. Dobwalls however needed a huge slice of luck for their equaliser. A run down the right and a ball in was met with a header from 8 yards out which the St Blazey goalkeeper spilled into the net. Huge disappointment for St Blazey. St Blazey went straight up the other end and forced a free kick just outside the area. Up stepped Harris who’s curling effort was pushed away. Dobwalls had a shot swept off the line following a corner as the game started to open up. Soon after Dobwalls took the lead, a long diagonal ball to Perryman who swept the ball home. St Blazey now had to throw men forward, and Dobwalls created chances with the extra space, a ball over the top and turn seen the first shot blocked and follow up saved. St Blazey forced a corner in the dying minutes and a header at the far post was pushed away to keep Dobwalls in front. With time running out, Perryman was set clear only for effort to go well wide of goal. Dobwalls held on and progressed to the second round of the league cup but a much improved performance from St Blazey.

Wendron who had a surprise 2v3 win at Penzance of Friday night will now face Dobwalls in the second round.

Full time, Dobwalls 2v1 St Blazey

Man of the match, Vinny, Scored the penalty and impressive through out. Great debut for St Blazey.

Next up for St Blazey, Back to league action and the trip west to Mousehole. Kick off 3.00pm