Season Review 2017 – 18

The 2017 -18 season began on the 8th July with a pre season trip to Millbridge on their all weather pitch. Lyle Johnson scored two penalties as St Blazey won 0v3. Pre season wins at home over St Stephens Borough and away at Plymouth Parkway reserves 1v3 followed before beating Plymstock 5v2. A good draw away at Camelford 1v1 saw St Blazey remain unbeaten during pre season.

The season started with a tough trip to former St Blazey manager Allan Careys Porthleven. With players unavailable St Blazey lost 3v0 despite having a man advantage for most of the second half. Four days later St Blazey faced another away trip, this time to Liskeard who were tipped for a good season. Despite St Blazey going in front a red card changed the game and Liskeard scored four in the torrential rain. Morgan pulled two back late on but couldn’t rescue a point for St Blazey.

St Blazey faced Holsworthy for their first ever home SWPL West match and supporters were given free admission to Blaise Park. St Blazey had a torrid time going 0v3 down before pulling two goals back but again were unable to force an equalizer. St Blazey had the chance to put that result behind them four days later when Illogan were the visitors. St Blazey were two up at half time and scrapped home 3v2 at full time to secure their first three points of the season. St Blazey then traveled to newly promoted Ludgvan and were quickly 2 goals in front. However a penalty to Ludgvan changed the game and Ludgvan made it 2v2 at half time. Ludgvan were the better team in the second half and won the match 4v2.

Despite a difficult start to the season St Blazey had a long trip to Cadbury Heath in the F.A Vase to look forward to. A coach full of players and supporters left in good spirits for Bristol. A go0d first half saw the side go in level at the break but in the second half Cadbury Heath caught St Blazey out scoring three goals. A late consolation left thoughts of what could have been.

After the long trip to Bristol, St Blazey took to the train for Penzance away in the league cup. Penzance went one up before Deadman scored with a great strike to level the tie. Johnson missed a penalty before half time and Penzance took advantage to win 2v1 and progress. St Blazey returned to league action away at Bude and depite going behind won 1v3. St Blazey returned to cup action, facing St Day away in the Senior Cup. They over come a tricky tie winning 2v4 with premiership referee Simon Long the man in the middle.

St Blazey fans snapped up the new club scarfs before kick off against Wendron. St Blazey’s form had turned and a convincing 3v0 win over Wendron was followed up by a thumping 0v4 win at Dobwalls with Dan Perryman scoring a wonderful solo goal. St Blazey then gained revenge for the cup defeat at Penzance beating them 3v0 at Blaize Park as they began to climb the table.

St Blazey completed the double over Dobwalls beating them 5v1 at Blaize Park and then beat Porthleven at home 2vo in the first round of the Cornwall charity cup as they began November in good form. The trip to Millbrook however ended a good run of results against a strong Millbrook side loosing 3v0.

St Blazey’s best crowd of the season turned up for a top of the table clash with Liskeard. A tight match was won by a lovely finish from Stuart Morgan to secure a big three points 1v0. Another three points came at Plymstock with a 0v2 win. St Blazey then faced Torpoint in the Cornwall Senior cup and despite a good performance St Blazey lost 2v0 and went out at the second round stage.

St Blazey faced Plymouth Marjons for the first ever time on their 3g artificial pitch. St Blazey led 1v2 in the closing stages and then looked to have dropped two vital points when a loose ball was knocked in to make it 2v2. St Blazey then stole all 3 points after Rendle shot from distance and the ball slipped under the goal keeper sparking great celebrations. The sad news that former St Blazey manager Trevor Mewton had passed away after a short illness left the club flying the clubs flags at half mast as a mark of respect for a manager who had so much success with St Blazey. With the weather causing pitches to be water logged it would be Boxing day before St Blazey played again against local rivals St Dennis. The match went ahead in torrential rain and St Blazey were 1v2 down at half time. With St Dennis missing chances to extend their lead, a deflection from a Rendle shot rescued a point.

With the rain showing no sign of letting up it would be the 10th February before St Blazey faced Polperro away in the charity cup quarter final. With only 13 players available St Blazey were down to 10 men early on with Ollie Deadman being sent off for pulling a player back. With the fog making viewing almost impossible St Blazey went in at the break 0v3 up. Polperro never gave up and score two quick goals to make it 2v3. Morgan scored  twice to make it 2v5 before Polperro scored two late goals to make 4v5. St Blazey traveled to Penzance for a re arranged match and led 1v2 just before half time. Penzance made it 2v2 and never looked back in the second half scoring four times to make it 6v2. St Blazey returned to Blaise Park to face Wadebridge and with nine minutes left were 1v2 down. But Ryan Howe turned the game on its head with two goals to earn all three points.

After finally getting football played after so much rain, it was now snow that covered pitches up and down the country. It would be the 17th March before another ball was kicked.

St Blazey returned to play Wadebridge away  and looked in control going in at the break 0v2 up. But the saying ‘a game of two half’s’ summed it up as Wadebridge hit back scoring a last minute equaliser. More disappointment was to follow four days later with lowly Plymstock scoring late on to win 1v2 on St Patricks day. St Blazey then faced league leaders Ludgvan needing all three points and put in a much improved performance winning 3v0.

St Blazey faced their next two home games against teams around them in the table. Porthleven were the visitors in a match that was uninspiring  0v0 draw. Elburton were next to visit Blaise Park and looked a good side going two up in the second half. But St Blazey battled back well and took a point with Broomfield scoring the first and on loan Tribble from Tavistock bundling the ball home. St Blazey then traveled to St Dennis on Good Friday and comfortably took all three points winning 1v3.

St Blazey stretched their unbeaten run to five games with a routine 2v0 win over Plymouth Marjons before they faced Mousehole who were on a good run of form themselves. Rendle was sent off for a late tackle but St Blazey went in at the break 2v0 up with Lewis Coombes scoring the opening goal from almost the half way line. Mousehole re grouped in the second half making the extra man count and scored five second half goals to take all three points. St Blazey traveled to Holsworthy and in hot conditions won 1v2 to put the Mousehole defeat behind them.

St Blazey faced Elburton at Haye Road for a re arranged league match and never really threatened as Elburton ran out comfortable winners 3v0. On their travels just four days later with the squad now down to 12 fit players St Blazey put in a good second half scoring three with out reply. Title chasing Millbrook were then the visitors  to Blaise Park and showed their quality winning 0v2 with a goal in each half.

St Blazey faced Bude Town in their last home game of the season and comfortable won 4v2 despite going a goal behind. Lewis Coombes made it 3v1 at half time with another goal from 40 yards lobbing the Bude Town goal keeper. Harry Eaton added a fourth with a fantastic curling shot into the top corner before a late Bude penalty pulled one back. St Blazey ended their league campaign with two away games. At Illogan St Blazey never got going and found themselves 3v0 down and never looked like scoring. And so there was one last league game on bank holiday Monday away at Mousehole. With just eight first team player plus reserves and the football secretary playing up front St Blazey battled away in the sapping heat. Despite going two down before the break, St Blazey never gave up and Yeoman scored a wonder goal from the half way line to pull a goal back.  Mousehole added a third to take all three points but it was a backs to the wall display to keep the scoreline respectable.

St Blazey still had at least one more match to play, the Cornwall Charity cup semi final against Wadebridge. The match was played at Burngullow, home of Sticker A.F.C. St Blazey with a near full squad went in at the beak 0v1 down. Despite their efforts Wadebridge caught St Blazey napping and went 0v3 up. That triggered a response and St Blazey pulled one back through Morgans calm finish. St Blazey were now all over over Wadebridge but just couldn’t break through until the final few minutes when Stone bundled the ball home. With almost the last kick of the game, St Blazey were awarded a free kick which Josh Harris took and it flew just over the bar with the Wadebridge goal keeper beaten. The final whistle blew and the season was over. Disappointment but heads held high after a much improved season.

The match day programs from this season.

The final league tables for the 2017-18 season for the S.W.P.L West division and the East Cornwall division along with the top goal scorers for the 1st team.

St Blazey hosted their end of season presentation evening with the first and second teams both in attendance with the clubs committee and supporters. The following awards were presented on the night.