Re-starting after the Second World War, the club re-joined the Cornwall Senior League in 1946, and has enjoyed much success to this day. There is an interesting story from this time of the first post-war Boxing Day derby with St Austell. Day break found the pitch totally covered with deep snow, which made the committee wonder if the match could be played.

Not wishing to loose this attractive fixture, an idea was put forward. At Lanescot were a number of German prisoners of war, and someone was sent to see if their services could be used, after all it was the local derby and if postponed what would they have to discuss on the street corner that night. Word came back that help was on the way and the prisoners duly arrived quite happily to be of some assistance, it was probably a break for them away from the drab camp. After several hours the pitch was cleared, and it now looked as if the match was on.

It was now discovered that there was no substance to mark out the pitch, bringing a touch of gloom to the faces of all who had worked so hard.

Within minutes Curly Richard arrived, who had been sent from the laundry by an ingenious Stan Moon with a bag or two of bluing, to mark out the field, proving a good idea, and so the match was played. That afternoon saw scores of supporters coming on over crowded buses backed by the conductors, who would ring back to St Austell for more relief buses, having left so many behind. This always happened in those days when the Saints played St Austell, with every bus available pulled into service to cope with the large attendances.

The club were indebted to the ladies supporters club who presented them with £200 to enable them to re-commence in the 1946-47 season. It was a season that was to be badly disrupted by the weather.

‘Rasher’ Turner scored four times in the Senior cup in a 7v0 win at bottom club, Moorswater. Playing at Penzance they let a 1v3 half time lead slip as Penzance staged a recovery to win 4v3. The following Saturday they gained revenge over Penzance with a 7v1 victory, which included a Turner hat trick.

Although a little inconsistent, they qualified to play in the Senior cup runners up final against Helston. Helston were the faster team, but St Blazey were on top for the greater part of the second half. Just before half time, Olver gave St Blazey the lead. Turner added a second early in the second half after a brilliant passing movement. Harry evaded the St Blazey defenders to score Helston’s lone goal, before Donnithorne took an opportunity to seal St Blazey’s victory.

There was more consistency shown in the 1947/48 season. Five wins and a draw in their first six matches was the catalyst for a second place finish in the Senior cup table. Finishing one point behind Penzance, they finished equal on 50 points with St Austell, but reached the final owing to a better goal average.

St Blazey protested to the C.C.F.A against an allocation of only 25 stand seats for each of the four clubs competing in the final against the 40 allocated the previous year. St Blazey had received 100 applications for their seats within 24 hours of qualifying for the final.

Penzance’s sucess in the final was well deserved, for they were superior in every department. Gerry Gazzard opened the scoring for them after 20 minutes with a 30 yard shot. Harris increased the lead shortly afterwards from a Gazzard pass. A concentrated effort from St Blazey brought two goals. The first came from Hartland, a long shot, and a minute before half time Turner equalised. Boase gave Penzance the lead within 40 seconds of the resumption. Now far superior, Penzance added another goal from Timbrell. The game was played before 10,000 spectators at Poltair.

To be continued…