April 1920 saw the Saints reserves winning the St Austell and District league cup in their first season in the league when they defeated St Dennis 3vo in the final with Mallett scoring twice and Phillips adding the third. On presentation of the trophy, Mr Jas Levers responded on behalf of St Blazey that they were proud to annex the trophy at the first time of asking and could wish to have met a more sporting side.

After partaking of tea at Nanpean, the victors proceeded homewards reaching St Blazey at 8pm. A large crowd cheered the team as they motored through the streets and back to the Cornish Arms. In the absence of the president Dr Davis and the chairman Mr C. Rundle who were otherwise engaged, the secretary and the captain, proceeded to a room over looking the large crowd. The cup being held together with the green and black mascot, a teddy bear was the signal for another outburst of cheering, after which the cup was taken around for the usual inspection by the supporters. The first team had had a poor season in the Bodmin and District league, but had  redeemed themselves by winning their junior cup group. On the 27th February 1920 they met group E winners Bodmin at Bugle, but were beaten 2v1, thus going out of the competition.

In May another honour was added at St Austell when they won the Labour Party Challenge Cup defeating Fowey, Trewoon and Sticker.

Just Prior to the St Austell Competition, the Charity cup replay between Truro and Looe was held at St Blaze. A large crowd, many coming from Looe to Par in fishing vessels saw their hero’s lose 2v1. The gate amounting to £69.

The decision to revert to Senior status was made for season 1920/21.

A newspaper report of the time for a match with Bodmin played on 7th January 1921. ”Much has been said or written, no doubt with great justification on the undesirable conduct of St Blazey supporters at various matches” This game however was contested by all the players in a truly sporting and friendly spirit, although Bodmin had towards the end such a large scoreboard registered against while each individual man did his best with the opportunities but, throughout, there was absolutely no evidence of foul play or bed feeling, a fact that was most gratifying. 

St Blazey won the match 5v1 and it helped them reach the County Finals runners up match where they received a drubbing from Truro City 7v1.

In the Bodmin and District League Southern Section they were to finish just behind Fowey.

By 1922 even greater concern was being expressed over the behavior of certain St Blazey spectators.

The C.C.F.A said there was a party of football hooligans, renowned for their habit of causing trouble at St Blazey matches, and it was time they were severely dealt with. It was decided to suspend the ground for a month and to call upon the St Blazey committee to deal with the spectators concerned and inform the Council of the action they had taken.

Despite the ground closure, St Blazey progressed to the Bodmin and District league finals played at Coldharbour Bodmin on 14th April 1922. Playing in the runners up match before 2,000 spectators a regrettable incident marred the day for the Saints. Will Ware collided with a Bodmin player breaking his leg after just 10 minutes. Ware had been persuaded to play as his wife was expecting a baby, and he wanted to be with her. This unfortunate accident was to leave him with  a steel plate in his leg.

To be continued…